I’ve always said that the truth about abused children in Orthodox communities is going to come out.
I mean the WHOLE truth – not just about the children being used by molester rabbis and rebbeim, but the cover-ups by rabbis, politicians, Agudah, OU, Shafran, Schick, Rosenblum, etc., etc., etc…. The whole nasty, mind-blowing, covered-up truth.
And, my friends, it IS coming out – a little at a time. There’s already more out there than meets the eye. You just have to know where to look.
The first place you might want to look is the new book Tempest in the Temple: Jewish Communities & Child Sex Scandals (Brandeis University Press, 2009), edited by Dr. Amy Neustein.
For instance, did you notice that the Jewish Week’s FRONT PAGE story on charedi child abuse this week mentions Tempest in the Temple? . . . But I’ll bet writer Steve Lipman wasn’t allowed to tell you what the book shows about child-abuse cover-ups… and Brooklyn D.A. Charles “Joe” Hynes.
Or, did you notice this week’s Jewish Press? Most of you are probably so sick of that paper you may not have noticed that Tempest in the Temple got reviewed this week on page F2, and by none other than David Morris of Lema’an Achai (a truth-teller about child sex abuse in Ramat Beit Shemesh).
But here’s what I mean about the truth coming out – even in the charedi media! Here’s what Jewish Press/David Morris has to say about Tempest in its review this week:
[One] powerful narrative is “The Fugitive and the Forgotten” by Michael Lesher . . . in which he describes his role in the case of alleged multiple child attacker, Rabbi Avrohom Mondrowitz. . . . In spite of some 25 years of stalling by various authorities in the US and Israel . . . Mondrowitz was finally arrested in Israel in 2007 and is now in custody pending extradition to the US.
Neustein and Lesher’s “Justice Interrupted” reviews the case of Rabbi Solomon Hafner who was “cleared” of abuse charges by the Bobov Bet Din (religious court) while the alleged victim was chased out of town. They also explore the Mondrowitz case and that of Rabbi Yehuda Kolko. In all three cases, the DA, Charles “Joe” Hynes seems to have participated in whitewashing, or obfuscating, due apparently to political considerations.
Yes, it’s all true… And that’s only the rough outline!
Read the book and see how bad it really is.
Michael Lesher’s role in these cases is not news, but in these chapters, he (with Amy Neustein in “Justice Interrupted”) lays out in detail the way rabbis, the “gedolim” and the criminal authorities are trying to fool us into believing they really care about child abuse. (Just think “Kol Tzedek” – and keep a straight face if you can.)
Here are a few points to be learned from just those two chapters in Tempest:
· D.A. Hynes’ office deliberately buried the Mondrowitz case in September 1993 by telling federal authorities to stop attempts to bring him back from Israel.
· Lesher has mounting evidence that Ohel Children’s Home (home of “Kol Tzedek”) sent foster children to Mondrowitz and covered up the abuse they suffered.
· The D.A.’s office, with help from federal officials, tried to “disappear” a copy of Mondrowitz’s hard drive, obtained by Lesher, that appeared to show Mondrowitz had illegally downloaded hard-core child porn in Israel.
· Rabbis with important information about Mondrowitz have refused to share it, despite Lesher’s requests.
· Member of the D.A.’s Jewish Advisory Council told Amy Neustein that Mondrowitz should not be prosecuted at all.
· The D.A. – who has said he doesn’t allow rabbis to interfere with his child sex abuse cases – took orders from a rabbinic court (headed by Rabbi Dovid Feinstein) to drop the case against the Bobov rabbi Shlomo Hafner.
· There is evidence he has done similar things in other child sex abuse cases.
There’s more – and more important information in other chapters – but this will give you some idea why it’s important to read this book – AND SEE WHAT THE JEWISH MEDIA ISN’T TELLING YOU. YET.
There’s a reason this information isn’t blaring at you from the Jewish Week, or from the Post or the Times, for that matter. The real news is too hot for the media to handle. After all, they get hoo-ha crime stories from Joe Hynes… and they don’t want to lose that connection.
But we need to know the truth. And repeat it. And repeat it. And repeat it.
Hynes, the rabbis, Ohel, the Agudah, etc., etc., are playing us for suckers, folks. We can’t let them get away with it. This is our revolution and we’re gonna have to work to keep them from stealing it.
So . . . take a look at Tempest in the Temple: Jewish Communities & Child Sex Scandals, and tell me if I’m wrong. You can order the book from Barnes & Noble (I did), or get it from amazon.com or cheapbooks.com.
Read it and bawl your eyes out. I did!